Riverfront North Partnership has a new position open! We are seeking a Greenway Stewardship Assistant. See the job description and the information on the application process below. The deadline to apply is March 4th at 4pm.
Riverfront North Partnership
Greenway Stewardship Assistant
Located along the Delaware Riverfront in Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Riverfront North is an 11-mile stretch of open space with a riverfront trail connecting seven existing and one future park. The Greenway is returning access to the river to the six abutting neighborhoods that have been cut off from the river for nearly a century. The Greenway is a major component of The Circuit, the regional trail network and of the East Coast Greenway.
Initiated as the Delaware River City Corporation in 2004, Riverfront North Partnership has been working with various City of Philadelphia departments to implement the North Delaware Riverfront Greenway Plan, a system of parks and trails along the Delaware River in Northeast Philadelphia. The trunk trail is approximately 65% completed with the remaining sections in final design. As trails and parks in the Greenway are completed, the need for stewardship activities has expanded.
Under the direct supervision of the Stewardship Manager, the Greenway Stewardship Assistant will contribute to maintaining the completed trail and park sites. This position is part-time, seasonal approximately 35 hours per week with some flexibility on the work schedule. Wages
for this position begins at $16.00/hr. with a review after the first 60 days, Including some paid holidays plus mileage reimbursement for use of personal vehicle between work sites.
- Position begins on or about April 1 and continues through approximately November 30th.
- Approximately 35 hours per week through the working season
- Weekend and evening hours for special events may occasionally be necessary
- Schedule can afford some flexibility as approved by the Stewardship Manager
- Specific terms regarding the duration of the working season will be discussed on an individual basis
- Support the Stewardship Manager in all aspects of landscape installation and maintenance including but not limited to planting, weeding, mulching, watering, mowing, maintaining tool inventory, pruning, general cleanup, streambank restoration work and general maintenance tasks.
- Develop a commitment to and proficiency in native landscaping, forest and shoreline restoration techniques.
- Invasive species control
- Maintain a clean and organized working environment
- Work with and develop productive relationships with stewardship volunteers and workforce development partners.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date records.
- Monitor test plots and develop protocols Staff and participate in special events (e.g. Cleanup Days, Volunteer Orientations, other organization events)
- Basic janitorial duties, i.e. graffiti removal, cleaning and restocking restrooms
- Other duties as assigned
- Nature Oriented – Exhibit an appreciation for ecology and the environment
- Plant material identification of native and invasive plants
- Gardening and small construction skills
- Passionate about public open space in an urban environment
- Able to lead and supervise small groups.
- Background in horticulture, landscaping or related field, or 1+ year(s) experience with gardening/landscaping/craft-based work
- Ability to systematically prioritize a list of tasks and effectively manage time.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and complete tasks free of supervision, but also collaboratively as needed
- Possesses excellent communication skills and is comfortable interacting with the public.
- Ability to manage volunteers and workforce development crews.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work. Personal vehicle will be given preference. A driver’s license is required, as the position will occasionally require the applicant to drive the RNP pick-up truck between sites.
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather and for extended periods of time
- Ability to bend or kneel for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
Application deadline is 4:00 p.m. Wednesday March 4th.
Send resume and cover letter to: Jim@RiverfrontNorth.org